Tuesday, January 29, 2013

words of wisdom (and a video that will make you cry)

We kicked around the idea of adopting for a few years. While living in Peru, we talked about it more seriously. We continued talking about it when we got back to the States. Then finally, we actually did something about it. We got through the requisite research phase and filled out an application for an adoption agency who specializes in Peru. Then we balked.

We started doubting our plan to adopt older kids. We second-guessed adopting more than one child at once. We wondered if we should abandon the lengthy, expensive process of adopting from Peru and try an easier route.

The stamp was on the envelope, but we didn't send in the application for another 2-3 weeks. During the delay, we didn't only freak out. We also solicited advice from people who know us well and love us enough to tell us if we're nuts. They had lots of practical advice, but the comments that stuck out most were the encouraging ones—the ones that motivated me pop the application in the mail. 

I thought I'd share some of their words of wisdom (and by doing so, I'm taking the risk that they love us enough to not be mad at me for doing this without their permission).

"Yes, adopting older children brings with it some challenges - especially when you add in the cross-cultural dimension. But having babies can present you with unexpected huge challenges, too. You never know what troubles and heartache may come with parenting children in this old world of ours. If not you, who then? Everyone has a good reason not to adopt."

"You're going to be glad/sad/sorry/elated/horrified/annoyed/grateful ... every emotion no matter which of these decisions you make. Here's what you know: kids need families. Get on it. I love you guys."

"Your heart has been drawn to these children. I'd say go for it. Don't try to see way down the road. Whatever kids you have by whatever means will be wonderful and scary and challenging and amazing. And we, the grandparents, will love them fiercely."
(oops. So much for trying to keep their identities anonymous. Sorry Mom.)

And one of my favorites--
"Child-rearing is hard. But I wonder if we Americans sometimes make it out to be harder than it really is. I think we do that with a lot of things in life because many of us don't have any true hardships, so we end up creating them. I think all your ideas about adoption are great. I think all of them will be hard. But not too hard."

If I ever start thinking what we're doing is too hard, remind me to re-watch this video (with a box of tissues nearby).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my heroes! I'm so touched by what you will be doing. The children will be blessed to have parents like you two.

Pastor Ken said...

Gotta use that video in church. Tissue boxes on every row first. Dad

Unknown said...

Whew- I'm a complete mess!

You can count on plenty of aunts and uncles to love them fiercely as well.

Thank you for taking Matthew 5:16 seriously. We love you guys.

Test said...

So excited for you both and will be praying for you on this journey!

heather