I can't escape it. Tradition is in my blood. On my mom's side of the family, doing something once qualifies it as a potential tradition. And once it's a tradition, there's no turning back. It will be continued. There are the usual certain-foods-on-certain-holidays type traditions that many families have. But then there are the ones that are, I'm sure, completely unique to my family (namely my PopPop). Like saving the score sheets from Acquire and Up-Words games in binders, organized by date (score sheets numbering in the thousands). Like reading a Daily Bread devotion aloud after dinner every night and pausing at random moments for the listeners to fill in the blanks. Like singing a made-up song "We're here because we're here..." when pulling into the driveway after a trip. I could fill a journal with my family's traditions. But onto the newest tradition...
Last summer we had tons of strawberries in the house from several trips I made to go picking, so we decided to invite our neighbors over for strawberry shortcake. In hindsight, I realize the event had tradition written all over it. But silly me, we had the get-together and I didn't give it another thought. Until ... a few months ago I stopped to chat with one of our neighbors and she mentioned that she had picked up some plastic dishes at a flea market that would be "just perfect" for our "annual strawberry shortcake party."
Um ... annual?
Well, that was that. Once the A-word was put out there, what could I do but respond in the way of my forefathers? And so, tonight we hosted our second annual neighborhood strawberry shortcake party. My PopPop would be proud.
3 comments:
Reading your post, I got a little misty-eyed... it's been a long time, I am ashamed to admit, since I heard the familiar strains of "we're here because we're here (because we're here, because we're heeeeeeeere, we're here because we're here, because... etc.) I'm glad to hear you are carrying on the tradition tradition. But how could you not? It's traditional!
Uncle Jerry
P.S. I've really been meaning to call you back... really...
Loved all the new posts! Must Skype soon! Mss you guys!!!
why have you not submitted this and gotten paid for this little post??? This is marketable stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment