Sunday, May 27, 2007

Lancaster and Jim Thorpe, PA

Generator Jesus Long lines at the pig trough
Karen and GrandmomOK, don't get me wrong - Karen and I really do love Jesus. I mean it.

I read in the Bible that he was the "light of the world."

So then why should I buy a generator?? And what difference does it make if He is Lord when I am comparing various generators?

This sign pretty well wraps up our impression of Lancaster. Woops, I just got corrected - it isn't Karen's impression of Lancaster, I guess it's just mine. It seemed like everything had Jesus tied to it. I wondered if maybe he didn't want to be associated with some of the things he was advertised with. This could get deep; there are probably things about me he isn't so proud to be connected with also. . .

Moving on, we also visited what has to be one of the world's largest pig troughs on the planet (see picture labeled "pig trough"). Shady Maple, known all over the greater Lancaster area, actually has the word "smorgasbord" on the side of the building. I didn't really think anybody would put that on their building, and I didn't think anybody would eat at a place that did. Oh but did they eat, and eat some more. Evidently most of the locals and visitors skipped over the gluttony part in the good book. So why were we there? Because Karen and I stayed overnight with Karen's grandmother, Doris (a.k.a.grandmom) while in the Lancaster area. We had our choice of places to go, but we wanted to go see this place for ourselves. Our time with grandmom was wonderful! Thanks, grandmom, for the hospitality, breakfast, and conversation. We love you.

While there we also saw a production called "In the Beginning" by Sight and Sound Productions. The show, the stage, the acting, the props . . . it was really top notch (except for Satan/Barney). Thanks, mom and dad Martin for a great gift.

On to Jim Thorpe, PA, for some mountain biking and hanging out. It's a cute town, but not Little Switzerland as they so prominently advertise. Save your cash on the pricey shuttle to the top of the switchback trail, unless you're as lame as we are.

After our day in Jim Thorpe, we stopped by Hickory Run State Park near Hazelton, PA. Our goal was to see the boulder fields. We saw them, and it was worth it (because we had absolutely nothing else to rush home for), though we just made it back to the car after getting all the blood sucked out of us from the mosquitoes.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I'm posting on one of these things. Man was I laughing at your Lancaster entry!
So funny!!! Karen, I have your picture of Satan/Barney on my fridge and every time I look at it I have to laugh.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot, I have yet to establish a blog of my own, but Anonymous is me, Tammy.