Tuesday, February 19, 2013

snarky comments

Six down, nine to go.

We're required to take 15 hours worth of online adoption education courses before we can begin our home study. A lesson we did the other day prepped us for insensitive comments people sometimes say to multiracial families. My favorite part was the quiz where we had to choose which of three responses we would give if faced with a particular scenario.

I wanted to pick the snarky response every time.

You are in the grocery store. It is late in the day, the line is long, and your two sons are tired and cranky. A woman behind you in line says, "What cute little boys. Are they both your real children?" How do you respond?  

A. I left the real ones at home. I prefer to use these plastic ones when I go out.

You have just brought your newly adopted son to your office to show him off. A co-worker asks, "How much did you have to pay for him?" How do you respond?  

A. A bit more than your C-section, but a lot less painful.

I really hope snarky people are still allowed to adopt.

Okay, now I'll tell you something legit that we learned so you won't think we're blowing off the course and notify the adoption authorities.

We liked the language "we're an adoptive family" (as opposed to saying "he's adopted"). And we appreciated the counsel to listen to people's comments through your child's ears and choose your response with that in mind. (Which, unfortunately, means I can't always be snarky).

2 comments:

Levraged Life said...

No, you can't be snarky although it is so tempting. Although my daughter is abit of a snark-miester and has cine uo with a saucy answer when people ask about her green eyes (since both of her parents are decidely brown-eyed.

Person: Well, where did she get green eyes?

Lil Snark-Meister: Macy's.

It takes evverything in me to be stern and correct her.

frontrowseat said...

Awesome. Maybe we'll get our kids to take some lessons from your snark-meister.