I have been amazed to see what my body can do. Six weeks ago, I had never run more than 6 miles at a time. To think about running 7 or 8 seemed really intimidating -- maybe impossible. Now, 7 or 8 is a treat compared to the long weekend runs our training schedule calls for -- 16 the last two weekends, 20 this weekend. I still have a hard time believing I'm actually doing this stuff!
The good news about all this is that I'm starting to think I might actually finish this marathon without dying. The bad news is that it's taking away my excuses. I have this nagging feeling that yes, I could actually do ___________ (fill in some difficult accomplishment) if I just put the effort into it. I'm afraid it may be harder for me to be lazy and complacent after this experience. Darn it.
Anyway, here is an update on the scary numbers I posted a couple months ago:
22: days left until the Philadelphia marathon.
26.2: miles in the race ... I keep checking the marathon website, but they aren't reducing the mileage.
34: the number of times (give or take) I've been surprised and excited to see how many miles my legs will carry me.
4.5: hours is my adjusted finish time goal. I put 4 in the last post but later realized that would mean running 9 minute miles. I can convince my body to do that for a few miles, but I'm pretty sure it will rebel and break down if I try to do it for 26 miles.
4: hours is David's goal to finish. He wants to beat his best marathon time of just under 4 hours, which was the first one he did in Chicago several years ago.
1: enormous Mud Pie Mojo from Cold Stone Creamery I plan to devour after the race. (This is still by far my favorite number on the list.)
2 comments:
Karen my friend, you are amazing and I am in awe of you. No way would you catch me running that long or far, unless I'm being chased of course. Good luck! You can do it. Oh, by the way, I miss you and think you should come to IN again. :) Love you!!
Karen. I was sorry to read that you hurt your ankle and couldn't finish. I know you were working really hard and really looking forward to reaching this goal. You are amazing. That picture of you frowning just makes me feel so bad for you. You'll do it next time.
I hope you still indulged in a Cold Stone ice cream afterward.
Post a Comment