Friday, October 31, 2008

voting

I don't talk about politics very often. Almost never, in fact. The other night David and I were with some friends who asked if we've decided who we're voting for. I don't think I said a single word during the conversation that followed.

It usually takes me a bit longer than most people to formulate an opinion. So I've been thinking about that conversation for the last few days, and now I can answer yes, I've decided who I'm voting for.


I'm not crazy about the idea of being a "single issue voter." But the truth is, even if a candidate was stellar in most ways -- with
great foreign policy, a real commitment to protecting our borders, a laissez-faire approach to most matters of governing the country, including health care and education, logical ideas about how to handle money and taxes (hard to imagine, I know!) -- and yet he or she supported allowing parents to have their children killed if, for example, the kids developed autism or became a financial burden, then I know I couldn't vote for that candidate no matter how much I agreed with him or her in all other areas ... and no matter how much I disliked the opposing candidate.

And so, because I believe the lives of innocent children, including children developing inside their mothers, are valuable and worth protecting, I cannot vote for a candidate who supports allowing pre-born babies to be killed.
This, I guess you could say, makes me a single-issue voter.

I'm not thrilled about either a McCain or an Obama administration. But in light of Obama's extreme support for abortion, my choice is clear.

On Tuesday I'll vote for John McCain.

2 comments:

Braden/Cayman said...

I am glad that you have made a decision. I am still processing... time is running out though!

Brandie said...

I like the new banner pic of you two!