Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Next Chapter is Beginning!

Tonya here, hacking – I mean, guest posting – on Karen's blog.


Karen and David have been some of our closest friends for so many years. We have shared in our deepest joys and sorrows and many epic adventures. Our friendship is a treasure we have always cherished.
"Family" photo with David and Karen when we went to visit them in Peru in February 2012. These are not their children. Repeat: these are NOT the children they are adopting. These kids photo-bombed us at the last moment (and then wanted a tip!).
I am guest posting here because David and Karen are about to embark on probably the epic-est (I’m not officially a writer like Karen so I can make my own words) adventure yet – Adoption – AND as you know, not just any adoption but FOUR TEENAGERS FROM PERU! (If the magnitude of of this has worn off for you due to familiarity with the story over time, take a moment here to reflect again on that!) It’s a big deal – parents for the first time, expanding their family, offering a home to children who haven’t had a family, language barriers, cultural differences, teenager, teenager, teenager, teenager!

 
We are so excited for them and I feel especially so since I had the privilege of visiting the orphanage and even meeting the kids they will soon be bringing home. I can tell you first hand those boys play a mean game of UNO and the girls can wield a nail polish wand with the best of them!
The adoption has been a long journey for David and Karen since those days of volunteering at the orphanage and they can hardly believe they are going back to pick them up in a matter of DAYS. 
A view from the restaurant one night while we were visiting David and Karen in Peru.
As you also might know – or imagine – bringing your kids home for the first time requires a lot of preparation and... paraphernalia! There has been a running joke that instead of the typical baby shower, the Martins situation requires “El Niño”. I agree, necessities times 4 for teenagers! Another good friend of David and Karen’s was exceptionally thoughtful in collaborating to put together a list of needs they anticipate. I am posting it here and I think Karen will update it once the kids arrive. This way if you think of them and want to send along a gift, or if you get to travel out and meet the kids and would like to bring a gift along, you can check on what they might need as well as what they might like =)  You can view the current list by clicking on the image below:

it's-a-girl-boy-girl-boy.jpg

Or, if that didn't work, click here: http://goo.gl/Vmn0sE

No comments: