Monday, February 3, 2014

Welcome to the United States!

The other day we were relieved to get this piece of mail from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

For some reason I was fascinated by the THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA font at the top of the paper—the same font that's on our dollar bills. I'm weird like that, noticing fonts. I frequently see signs for restaurants or hair salons and recognize the font. And know its name. And could take a good guess from which website they downloaded it. It's kind of an annoying habit.

Anyway, so as part of the adoption process we have to get approval from USCIS to bring children from another country into the United States. The application was extensive and expensive, so when we got a rejection letter just before Thanksgiving, it threw us for a bit of a loop! Through so much of this process, we feel as if we're operating with only about 70-80% of the information we'd like to have. We're just kind of going through the steps, following instructions, filling out forms, asking questions, and trying to understand this new world of international adoption. So when something doesn't go as expected, it's hard to know whether it's a big deal or not. (e.g. Our doctor signs the medical report in a different black pen than the one used to fill out the rest of the report. Not a big deal, right? Wrong. Re-do it.)

Gratefully, the mistake with the USCIS application turned out not to be a big deal. Our adoption agency had neglected to include a paragraph of text that is specifically required by Peru. They made the correction, updated our home study and resubmitted our application. That's why we were relieved to get the form. It's the United States Government's approval for us to adopt up to five children from Peru. It was also the last piece of paperwork we were waiting on before we can send all our stuff to Peru. Our dossier—the big ol packet of paperwork that summarizes our life and history from every possible angle (financial, psychological, family background, education, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.)—should land on someone's desk in Peru this month. We're making progress!

I was also fascinated by our trip to the Immigration office in Philadelphia a couple months ago. We shuffled through the line and had our paperwork checked by a no-nonsense officer at the door. I noticed that she was saying "congratulations" to most of the other people in line. David and I were directed to a small side office; the other 100-or-so people stayed in the main room for what was evidently a swearing-in ceremony for new citizens. We had our "biometrics" taken, which I think just means they took our fingerprints, although perhaps they did a retinal scan or body odor analysis on the sly. Before we left, I was waiting for David to use the restroom and overheard a part of a conversation between a Hispanic woman clutching a pile of paperwork and an employee behind the front desk.

"Since your last interview have you had any change in your marital status?"

"No."

"Have you been convicted of a crime?"

"No."

"Have you sold illegal drugs?"

"No."

"Have you joined the communist party?"

"No."

"Have you joined a terrorist organization?"

"No."

I wanted so badly to ask the woman behind the desk a.) has anyone ever answered yes to those questions? and b.) are we really still asking that question about the communist party?

It felt a little like a scene out of a movie from the 80s.

I didn't ask though. The whole thing was foreign enough that I felt more than a little intimidated. And I'm already a citizen! I can only imagine how those who aren't must feel.

It was moving to catch a glimpse of the scene. News about immigration is usually so negative and controversial, but here was a roomful of people about to become U.S. citizens! Some were alone, others were surrounded by supportive family members. There were baby strollers and older folks. I sensed expectancy and nervousness in the room. I looked around at their faces and tried to imagine what their stories might be and how they might be feeling at that moment. They face a similar situation that our future kids will: a new start, a new identity, a new country. I'm not usually a huggy person, but I wanted to hug them all and tell them "Welcome to the United States!"

1 comment:

Sonya B said...

That was really well written and interesting. : ) My parents must've gone through some of these things back in the 70's/80's when they were adopting from other countries. They adopted a total of 8! Anyway, when I became a citizen of Canada in 2003, it was a bit of an intimidating process too, although I think the Americans are MORE intimidating. lol We had to go to the American consulate in Calgary for American citizienship papers for our boys and that was somewhat intimidating too...all the questions and swearing in and the seriousness of it all. Anyway, I know you don't know me at all...old friend of David's. I enjoy reading your posts on this process and trust the Lord will provide His children for you soon. : )