Then last week I was washing dishes and heard a noise outside. I looked, and there on the floor of the courtyard were two broken eggshells. Not little speckled eggs like the kind that might have fallen out of a bird's nest, but big eggs like the kind you buy in the store and fry with bacon for breakfast. Chicken eggs.
Weird...
Today one of the office employees was standing out in the courtyard talking on the phone when three eggshells came flying over the wall from the neighbor's house and hit her in the head. She did what neither Roxana nor I thought to do (not that I would've had the courage to do this even if it had occurred to me). She went over to the neighbor's house. The nine-year-old boy and his grandfather were home, and they asked her to return shortly when the parents got back, which she did. And, after some discussion, the mystery was solved:
The boy is evidently quite overweight. The parents have the idea that it's not healthy to eat more than one egg per day. The boy loves eggs. The parents don't let him eat more than one egg per day. So when the parents aren't home, the boy cooks his eggs and tosses the evidence out the window, over the wall, into our courtyard.
And so concludes the Case of the Flying Eggshells.

4 comments:
Karen, that looks exactly like our sidewalk for the first few months we lived here! I identified with your story completely, up until the part about the overweight boy. I'm pretty sure our neighbor kids are just inconsiderate.
hilarious.
A similar mystery at LCC, only it was a college student and he threw more than eggshells!
Haha, this sounds really interesting. I once liked a kind of apple juice which is bad because I drank too much and it's really sweet. So I threw it outside my apartment window and it usually fell on the first floor guy's awning. One night it rained and washed down all the juice boxes and the neighbor started cursing towards the whole building. I was scared and stopped overdosing on apple juice because there's no haven for disposing evidence any more. They guy took the awning down. I was really little...
Post a Comment