Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spinach with Scallions (or something else if you don't have scallions) and Feta

The lack of posts recently does not indicate a lack of new recipes being tried ... or a lack of eating. Be assured, we have been cooking and eating plenty! In our quest to try one new recipe per week in 2010, we hit a string of new recipes that earned C grades. David tends to be more of a food snob and rate things lower than me. But tonight for the first time, he graded a dish higher than I did. This one earned an A from him (a B from me). As I write, he is licking his plate. Literally. No really, I'm not lying. He is actually licking the plate.

So here goes...

Spinach with Scallions and Feta
1 tbsp olive oil
1-1/2 cups scallions, white and green parts, chopped (I didn't have scallions, so I used a leek. Why I would happen to have a leek on hand is another story.)
1 lb. spinach washed and thick stems removed
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried if your herb garden isn't thriving yet)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 cup feta cheese (or more if you're a cheese addict like we are)

Sautee the scallions or scallion substitute in the olive oil til they brown. Lower the heat and add the spinach. Cover and cook a couple minutes til the spinach has wilted. Add the thyme, salt, pepper and cumin. Stire and then add teh cheese. Removed from heat and keep covered and til the cheese melts slightly.

You could eat this by itself or over something else like rice, potatoes or pasta. We ate it with a yummy mixed grain rice.

This recipe comes from Karen Lee's book, The Occasional Vegetarian

1 comment:

David said...

Blogs (and here I include facebook and other social media outlets) are best served when revealing the foibles and idiosyncrasies of ones own character. NOT by posting things about ones spouse.